Just as you adjust your sprinkler system for fall, you also need to prepare it for winter! Winter is just around the corner, and as temperatures slowly begin to drop, it’s important to winterize your sprinkler system before the first frost.
If you haven’t scheduled a sprinkler system blow out to winterize your sprinkler system, Custom Lawn & Landscape is breaking down why you should, today:
Why Do I Need A Sprinkler System Blow Out?
When water freezes it expands, thus cracking or bursting the pipes in or around your home. This includes your sprinkler system, and it’s why it is highly encouraged to never leave your sprinkler system on during the winter, as you may end up repairing, or worse, replacing the entire system.
A new sprinkler system can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 dollars or more! In order to avoid this cost it is best to turn off your sprinkler system by:
- November 15th if you have an above ground backflow preventer
- December 1st if you have an underground system
What Happens During A Sprinkler System Blow Out?
Once you have your water turned off it is best to hire professionals to winterize your pipes by “blowing out” your system. What happens when lawn care professionals winterize your system with this method?
- First, an industrial grade air compressor is used to “blow out” the system.
- Each yard has several zones that make up the sprinkler system. Each zone is “blown out” by hooking up the air compressor up to the main valve.
- Next, the air is slowly released into the pipes in each zone and expel the water until no further water is coming out. (It is important to have professionals winterize your pipes because they know the proper PSI (pounds per square inch) that your pipes can handle and how to safely extract the water.)
- Once all the water has been expelled, the system is examined including the pipes, valves, and anything else regarding your system that might need attending to, to prepare for winter.
In order to get the best results schedule an appointment with Custom Lawn today. We can do everything regarding your sprinkler system and will make sure it’s safe and set for success!