K-State Research & Extension has developed a Healthy Yards and Communities Initiative. How healthy is your yard? Take the assessment at www.kansashealthyyards.org. Find out now, and prepare for the oncoming spring, because what is better for the environment is better for your budget!
- Do you use Smart-Irrigation Technology, such as an automatic rain sensor and shut-off?
- Is your irrigation system calibrated to supplement natural rainfall (around 1.5 inches of water per week when needed)?
- Is your landscape planted with trees, shrubs and flowers that are resistant to insect and disease problems?
- Are your grass clippings mulched and left on the lawn, or do you just toss them?
- Have you tested the pH levels in your lawn, shrubs and gardens?
- Is your lawn fertilized at the right time, with the right amount?
- Is your lawn mowed weekly, or more often with blades set high (over 3 inches)?
- Are your trees and shrubs maintained with good pruning practices, reducing ice/wind storm damage?
- Are your plants checked often for problems (using Integrated Pest Management)?
If you’re not sure about the condition of your lawn, and you want to be prepared for the upcoming spring season, don’t hesitate! Call Custom Lawn & Landscape today at (913) 782-8315. We cover the entire Johnson County area, from Overland Park to Leawood to Lenexa. We can help you make your lawn look its best now…and all year-round!